SAVE THE DATE: FALL 2014 TexTESOL STATE CONFERENCE
NOVEMBER 13-15, 2014
Embassy Suites Hotel
1001 E. McCarty Lane, San Marcos, TX 78666
Friday, October 17, 2014
2014 TexTESOL STATE CONFERENCE SAVE-THE-DATE
2014 TexTESOL STATE CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FORM
2014 TexTESOL STATE CONFERENCE PROPOSAL SUBMISSION FORM
PROPOSAL Deadline: Friday, August 1, 2014
2014 State Conference Website www.textesol2014.org
|2014 TexTESOL V Scholarship Application|
2014 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
This scholarship is open to high school seniors who at one time or another were an ESL student. Complete your online application at: 2014 TexTESOL Scholarship Application
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: May 16, 2014 6PM
TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION, YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
The application consists of the following sections:
I. Personal Information
II. Personal Reflection– Original essay
III. Letters of Reference (2) and Transcript
TUTORIAL- Watch this short video tutorialon how to complete this online form and uploading required documents:
QUESTIONS? Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|TexTESOLer of the Year 2013-2014|
| Congratulations to Martin Guerra, TexTESOL V’s TexTESOLer of the Year! Professor Martin Guerra was born and raised in Corpus Christi, TX, in a home where English and Spanish intermingled constantly. He began his career at Mountain View College in 1992 as an ESL Advisor and joined the faculty in 1996 as a full-time ESOL instructor. In addition to his teaching duties, he has served in many leadership roles on campus, including two terms as President of the Faculty Association and currently as Instructional Coordinator for English & Developmental Studies. He has also served on the DCCCD ESOL Curriculum committee throughout his 20 years of teaching, including several terms as Chair. In 2009, his colleagues nominated him for the Piper Stevens Foundation Award for Excellence in Teaching. In addition, Martin served on the Tex-TESOL V Board, most recently as President during 2008-2009 academic years. He had also previously served on the Tex-TESOL V Board as Adult Education Representative and Advertising Representative.|
|TexTESOL V Publication of Texas English Language Teaching (TexELT) Journal|
| TexTESOL V is proud to announce the publication of Texas English Language Teaching (TexELT) peer-reviewed online journal with volume 1, issue 1, September 2012.|
This first issue of the journal contains three articles:
- Szabo, S, & Raine, L. (2012). Transitioning from Spanish to English reading: Using the Fry Instant Words to compare the sight word reading of students first taught to read in English and those first taught to read in Spanish. TexELT: Texas English Language Teaching, 1(1), 7-21.
- Nerren, J., Abel, C., & Wilson, H. (2012). Language stimulation techniques for prekindergarten English language learners. TexELT: Texas English Language Teaching, 1(1), 22-36.
- Roessingh, H. (2012). The importance of the prompt for eliciting language samples: Insights from research and considerations for practice. TexELT: Texas English Language Teaching, 1(1), 37-56.
|TexELT: Texas English Language Teaching, Volume 2|
| TexELT, an online professional journal, is now available for viewing. Click here to read the journal articles.|
TexELT: Texas English Language Teaching, 2(1). ISSN 2325-2979
1. González, L. Mainstream “English” literacy practices: ESL parents’ perspectives, pp. 8-25.
2. Pham, N. Online in Vietnam: Teacher preparation in the 21st century, pp. 26-35.
3. Ananyeva, M. A pedagogy of nurture in an EAP writing course: Engaging with academic discourses through book writing, pp. 36-52.
4. Haile, J. Book review: Immersion Education: Practices, Policies, Possibilities, pp. 53-57.
5. Yoon, B. Sociocultural perspectives: Effective instruction for English language learners in the mainstream classroom, pp. 58-69.
6. Yoon, T. Analysis of Multiple Intelligence preferences of EFL learners compared to actual classroom activities, pp. 70-86.
|Free Resources from Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL)|
| In case you are welcoming new students who are refugees and you lack resources to understand their linguistic, cultural and experiential backgrounds, the Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) offers several in-depth downloadable PDF publications that will be invaluable resources for students from Iraq, Burma and a number of other places.|
Click here for a more complete listing of resources.
Created on 02/04/2003 10:24 AM by admin
Updated on 05/08/2014 10:34 AM by rodseg512
Current Newsletter 2013 Available For Viewing
|Click here to read the most current TexTESOL V newsletter containing information about upcoming events.|
|Another Successful TexTESOLV Conference!
|The October 13 fall conference boasted great attendance, a premiere location and wonderful speakers. Thanks to all who volunteered and attended. See you next year!
|Become a Member!
|Missed the conference? You can still become a TexTESOL V member! Members enjoy benefits including:
Print and mail a membership application.
- Scholarships to TESOL Academies
- Virtual Seminars
- and more